Pre Brief 30 minutes
Est. AATD Time – 2.0 Hour
Post flight discussion 30 minutes
You are on your way to Grand Junction for a camping trip in the Grand Mesa National Forest. Work obligations this morning ran slightly later than you had planned and you’re now going to be departing at about 3:00 in the afternoon, at least you figure that the flight can still be completed during daylight. Your friends plan to meet you at the airport tonight and you will all drive up to the trailhead the following morning. It’s early summer and the aircraft is the Cessna T206.
- Determine route KCOS-KGJT based on aircraft performance, weather, and airspace.
- File and fly appropriate departure procedure from KCOS
- Fly instrument approach procedures
- Perform missed approaches
- Perform standard holds
- Exercise Aeronautical decision making
- Arrive to briefing with planning completed using weather and information contained in the Pilot Briefing Packet.
- Assume the aircraft has 3.5 hours of fuel and loaded to max gross weight.
- The briefing will cover your questions from your pre-session planning as well as quizzing by the instructor to ensure a working knowledge of the IFR system.
- Pilotedge will be used for ATC throughout the flight. If doing the LOFT outside the hours of operation of pilotedge, the instructor will act as ATC.
- Correctly determines the aircraft is equipped to fly the route and meets performance requirements
- Completes flight plan with an appropriate alternate, if an alternate is required, using supplied TAFs
- Use of the Autopilot and Automation of the G1000 is encouraged.
- Perform 3 approach procedures, missed approach procedures and holding patterns as applicable to Instrument rating ACS standards
- Completes all checklists, procedures, and communications. Minor differences will exist between the simulator and airplane (eg. alt static source) so verbalize what you are doing when such instances occur.
Weather KCOS KGJT KASE KRIL KEGE KGUC KAEJ KAJZ
KCOS 201654Z 01010KT 10SM FEW100 FEW220 32/06 A3011 RMK AO2 SLP085 T03220056
KCOS 201139Z 2012/2112 35007KT P6SM FEW250
FM201700 07008KT P6SM FEW100 SCT200
FM202100 02012KT P6SM VCTS SCT080CB BKN140
TEMPO 2022/2024 30028G38KT 3SM -TSRA BKN080CB
FM210200 34008KT P6SM SCT140 BKN250
KGJT 201653Z 15005KT 10SM CLR 29/03 A3005 RMK AO2 SLP093 HZ FU ALQDS T02940033
KGJT 201742Z 2018/2118 15005KT P6SM FEW200
FM202200 29015G24KT P6SM SCT100 SCT200
FM210100 32016G24KT P6SM SCT250
FM210600 13008KT 6SM FU SKC
KASE 201653Z 01005KT 10SM FU CLR 27/01 A3028 RMK AO2 SLP104 T02720011
KASE 201742Z 2018/2118 01005KT 6SM FU FEW200
FM202100 33010KT 6SM FU VCTS SCT090CB
FM210100 28012KT 6SM FU SCT180
FM211400 00000KT P6SM SKC
KRIL 201653Z AUTO 34004KT 7SM CLR 27/04 A3013 RMK AO2 SLP123 T02720044
KRIL 201742Z 2018/2118 34004KT P6SM FEW200
FM202000 30006KT P6SM SCT200
FM210000 32011KT P6SM BKN200
FM210300 11006KT P6SM SCT200
KEGE 201656Z 00000KT 10SM FU CLR 23/03 A3024 RMK AO2 SLP169 T02330028 PNO $
KEGE 201742Z 2018/2118 00000KT 6SM FU FEW200
FM202100 26008KT 6SM FU VCTS SCT090CB
FM210000 31010KT 6SM FU BKN180
FM210500 00000KT 6SM FU FEW200
KGUC 201656Z AUTO 24005KT 10SM CLR 20/04 A3032 RMK AO2 SLP168 T02000044
KGUC 201742Z 2018/2118 24005KT P6SM FEW200
FM202000 28007KT P6SM SCT200
FM202300 31010KT P6SM SCT200
FM210600 00000KT P6SM SKC
KAEJ 201735Z AUTO 15006KT 10SM CLR 28/M02 A3028 RMK AO2 T02761022
No TAF found for KAEJ
KAJZ 201735Z AUTO 00000KT 7SM CLR 31/02 A3008 RMK AO2 T03070024
No TAF found for KAJZ
KMTJ 201653Z AUTO 33009KT 10SM CLR 26/06 A3015 RMK AO2 SLP119 T02610061
KMTJ 201742Z 2018/2118 33009KT P6SM FEW200
FM202200 30014KT P6SM SCT100 SCT200
FM210300 11009KT P6SM FEW250
FM211600 15005KT P6SM SKC
KTEX 201755Z AUTO 23006KT 10SM CLR 27/M03 A3040 RMK AO2
KTEX 201742Z 2018/2118 VRB04KT P6SM FEW090
FM202300 30015KT P6SM VCSH SCT090 SCT200
FM210200 19006KT P6SM SCT200
FM211400 00000KT P6SM FEW250